from Ellen's kitchen with thanks to Bake from Scratch
NOTE: Dough can be refrigerated overnight. Let come to room temperature and then let rise until doubled in size before rolling out.
- 1 1/2 cups water water (100-110F)
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- In small bowl, whisk warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- In large bowl of standing mixer, whisk flour and salt. Add yeast mixture and oil, and stir until combined and dough forms. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface (or use dough hook on stand mixer) and knead until smooth and elastic, 5-10 minutes. Shape dough into smooth round.
- Lightly oil large bowl. Cover and let stand in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- Position oven rack in top third of oven and preheat to 450. Place pizza stone or upside down baking sheet in oven to preheat.
- In medium saucepan, heat 1 tbs oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, 3-5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, 1 tsp salt, thyme, 1/2 tsp pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until reduced, 6-8 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced thinly
- 1 small eggplant, sliced very thinly
- 2 medium plum tomatoes sliced thinly
- 5 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- fresh basil leaves
- olive oil for brushing dough
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Toss cheeses together in bowl to combine.
- On lightly floured parchment paper or pizza peel, roll or stretch half of dough into 11 inch circle. Brush with oil, and spread half of tomato sauce over dough, leaving 1 inch border.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese on top of sauce.
- Layer half of sliced vegetables on top of cheese, as desired. Brush with oil (if desired), sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Repeat with remaining dough, sauce, cheese, vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide pizza onto stone or baking sheet in oven.
- Bake until crust is crisp and golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Post a Comment