from Ellen's kitchen, thanks to Cook's Illustrated
- 1 1/2 lbs zucchini (about 4), shredded on large holes of box grater
- 1 1/4 cups packed (8 3/4 oz) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 oz) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz) whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- oven rack to middle position and heat to 325. Grease loaf pan.
- grated zucchini in center of dish towel. Gather ends and twist tightly to drain as much liquid as possible, discarding liquid. Whisk brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla together in medium bowl. Fold in zucchini.
- flours, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg together in large bowl. Fold in zucchini mixture until just incorporated. Fold in walnuts, if using. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- until top bounces back when gently pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 65-75 minutes. Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on rack.
Post a Comment