from the kitchen of Ellen
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, about 1/2 large onion
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers, chopped *
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried whole oregano
- 4 skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 14 1/2 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 13 3/4 oz can chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can green chili enchilada sauce
- diced avocado
- diced red onion
- Dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, jalapenos, and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes.
- chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
- chicken, water, peppers, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomatoes, broth, and sauce. Bring to a boil.
- and simmer for 20 minutes with lid off.
- into individual soup bowls and top each with avocado and red onion.
- For this recipe, 2 provide good flavor, 3 quite a bit more spice and heat.
- In general: Prepare jalapenos carefully, as hot oil from the jalapeno can remain on your skin for some time. DO NOT (told from personal experience of both cooks!) cut jalapenos, and touch eyes, even after washing thoroughly. Jalapeno oil can remain on hands for a while.
- To prepare: Rinse. Cut off stems and discard. Cut remaining peppers into quarters lengthwise and remove interior membranes and seeds. Chop what remains.
Post a Comment